Sunday, September 21, 2014

Skull and crossbones stencil

I was recently in the process of building a Raingutter Regatta trimaran boat with my son who is in his first year of Tiger scouts. He is a big fan of pirates and decided we should paint a skull and crossbones image on the sail. I came across this article describing how to stencil a skull and crossbones as an arts and craft project. We liked the idea, but unfortunately the article didn't include the stencil, so I did some more searching and came across this svg image of a skull and crossbones on Wikipedia. It was created by an unknown author under the creative Commons license, so I used it as a starting point. I installed Inkscape and made modified the image to fit my needs as a stencil. I trimmed out the middle with a utility knife. Then I sprayed a single base red coat, let that dry, the followed up with the blue coat. You can see I did get some overspray, which was because I didn't get the paper flat on the sail. I also used standard printer paper for the stencil. A thicker paper might help prevent the overspray.

I've included a svg and a pdf version of the file. The both the skull and face images are around 2.5" x 3" in size, printable on single sheet of paper. Since I spray painted the stencil and am not very experienced with Inkscape, I wasn't too careful with making the lines very clean. Feel free to modify or use for any of your projects. Leave a comment if you found this image to be useful.

 I release the svg and pdf image under creative commons. I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide. In some countries this may not be legally possible; if so: I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

No comments: